Thursday, March 17, 2005

It's not me, it's you.

It's almost 7am and I'm already drained. The one thing I'm most looking forward today is going to happen in about five minutes...when I crawl back into bed, under my warm covers and sleep for another two hours before my class. My day started at 5:45am when I thought the team had training scheduled at 6. Either people on the team miraculously forget how to read when faced with the potential likelihood of physical exertion or the slightest bit of precipitation (or appearance of) makes them recoil in fear and hide like an ostrich in the sand.

I decided to run the campus loop by myself, which of course was inevitable due to the lack of anyone else being there. I was kind of glad, however, because it gave me a chance to think and reflect. I fantasized about quitting; just giving up because it seems like no matter what I do I can't bring this team to the level I want it to be at. Over the past several weeks I've started to realize that it really has nothing to do with me or how I lead. A marching band and a bucket of ice water couldn't get most college students out of bed before 8am no matter what. What we need is more motivation and much of that was lost when our season was shot due to the lack of equipment. I try not to blame myself, and while it's not my fault that people don't show up, I wonder if I've taken the team in the wrong direction by asking too much. As a freshman we had about four times as many guys on the team and many more girls. Most everyone showed up to a.m. practices on a regular basis and everyone that did had a blast. Of course, we were hardly winning any medals and it was frustrating not having a strong showing at the competitions even though we were training so much. When I became vice-president and then president, I wanted to not only have fun but win as well. What was I thinking? Apparently you can't have both with you're under-funded and under-equipped.

But of course I'm not going anywhere. I still have hope and a vision and I think it's going to be realized. That's one thing I've learned over the past four years is that you really can't give up on anything you start out to do. Even if it looks bleak, you still have to try and hope for the best. Even if failure happens, you have succeeded in that you did not give up. That's half the battle. At this point all I can do is stay hopeful for the team, not take any setbacks personally, and complete the job I set out to do.

No comments: