Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Aspects

Over the past several weeks I've become more and more aware of my Art of Living. That is to say that I am beginning to realize the constituent parts that combine to form the structure of how I operate on a daily basis. This, I believe, is the most important step in making any art of living work for you. We can aspire to always tell the truth, never make assumptions, or be kind to others but in order for those things to take full effect we must really stand back and look at ourselves from a different perspective. One has to consider the consequences, both positive and negative, of applying a new aspect to an art of living. In other words, it is one thing to say you're going to do something to better yourself but it is another to truly make it work on a fundamental level. If you never contemplate the ramifications of fine-tuning your art of living how are you going to grow intellectually and emotionally, if those are your ultimate goals?

What I think will help me, and what I'm surprised I haven't done yet, is to list the major aspects of my art of living. A nice, concise list of what it is that guides me through the hours of my day, the days of my weeks, and the weeks of my years, and the years of my life. Dr. Phil would be proud.

Aspects of My Art of Living (in no particular order)
  1. Always tell the truth.
  2. Read.
  3. Listen.
  4. Don't worry about what other people think about you.
  5. Realize and appreciate when you're better than someone else.
  6. Realize and appreciate when someone else is better than you.
  7. Keep your word.
Edit: Initially I had short descriptions for each aspect but they started to sound ridiculous so I left them out. I think these speak for themselves. Like everything in life (including life itself) they aren't concrete and are subject to change.

No comments: