Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Socrates W. Bush

For our assignment for class tonight we were to Read Socrates' Euthyphro and Apology, the latter supposedly being the actual speech Socrates gave at his trial. I chose to write on "religion and being religious", and how this relates to Socrates' as well as my own Art of Living. The readings were only mildly confusing, as I am new to philosophy and I was able to walk away with several conclusions. First, and most satisfying, was the realization that Socrates would be a great United States president.

Indeed, Plato thought it absurd that the wisest man in the country should not be its leader. I cannot help but entertain the thought that the current state of democracy in this country could be greatly aided by Socrates' wisdom. This is not to say that I believe our system is broken, but that is has become so diluted by pointless bickering, idle chatter, and political correctness that these very characteristics have become an indistinguishable aspect of the American political system. Ancient philosophers would recognize our version of democracy only on paper. It's administration (as in the practice of democracy today) is so far off from the notion of a government "for the people, by the people" that it has almost become something completely different. I forgot who said that American government was designed so that the average farmer could lay down his hoe, lead the country for a term, and then return to his farm and pick his hoe back up. Of course that idea has long since vanished with the unsettling developments in war and technology, but the principle should still remain. If the wisest man in the country happens to be a farmer, democracy holds that the people will realize this and elect him to high office. This was what Plato was getting at and what Socrates layed the groundwork for (truth and reason, etc.).

It also struck me how timeless Socrates' wisdom is. I realize millions of people have already realized this, but it's fun to finally get it for myself. If I was a teenager on the street in Athens way back when and came across Socrates, I would be intrigued. I would smell the fresh air and see the light at the end of the tunnel. It is neat to realize that I can easily place myself in the shoes of those teenages that Socrates was accused of corrupting. Although Athenian society was undoubtedly more closeminded and conservative than 2005's United States, similar problems still exist. There is a politcal majority, the conservatives, and there is a political minority, the liberals and unaffiliated. I am of the latter persuasion. And it is as true today as it was back then: the progressive minority is more outspoken and annoying (in a good way) than the conservative administrators. The fact that this paragraph was written and makes sense is one of the great things about democracy.

But again, enough of my rather unorganized political thoughts. If they serve any purpose here it's to reveal a little bit of the way I think about the world around me and thus a hint of my art of living.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heya Will,
Wow! is all I have to say about your blog entries. For being a first timer to studying philosophy, your arguments are well thought out and you present valid original ideas. That is not an easy achievement. I have to say that I agree with you. We could definetly use some Socratic influence in modern day politics. So keep up the good work and I look forward to reading more. See you Wed.
Lauren

Anonymous said...

Heya Will,
Wow! is all I have to say about your blog entries. For being a first timer to studying philosophy, your arguments are well thought out and you present valid original ideas. That is not an easy achievement. I have to say that I agree with you. We could definetly use some Socratic influence in modern day politics. So keep up the good work and I look forward to reading more. See you Wed.
Lauren