Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Carson

As most everyone knows by now, Johnny Carson died on Sunday from complications of emphazema. Although I don't think I ever watched a Tonight Show with Carson as host, I've seen countless clips over the years and virtually every one of them was hilarious and, amazingly, timeless. Right now I'm watching a special Tonight Show featuring clips and guests. Although I don't remember Carson as a Tonight Show host, it got me thinking about a very important aspect of life: laughter.

The very thought of living life without the distraction of laughter is scary. It seems that sometimes the whole purpose of life is to laugh. Indeed, some people laugh their whole way through life. Some are very good at it, as was Johnny Carson. There are a number of important things in my life that I could not function without: family, friends, education, and good health. I might as well add laughter to that list. I've been told a few times I have a good sense of humor. I don't know where it comes from or if humans are born with it, but what I do know is that when I make someone laugh, it's one of the greatest feelings in the world because there are so many emotions tied into one. When we laugh, we smile, which in turn can completely alter another person's entire day. I've been more perceptive of that lately, even before Carson's death. A smile from someone you weren't expecting one from can do more for your mood than anything that you can do for yourself. So, the take-home conclusion from this is easy. Smile, laugh, and have fun in life because without these things, everything else is pointless and without purpose.

No comments: